Monday, December 15, 2014

Interview - Student

 1. Have you ever been treated unfairly because of your race?
There are multiple occurrences where jokes about my race or the race's of the people around me and people will make it seem like it's "okay". Many times people have made jokes because I was put into a certain situation that people saw as a "stereotype situation" and they felt the need to call me out on it and make jokes. There are also times where,since my race comes from a "minority group", that, certain things are provoked because of someone's opinion on my race. 

2. Do you feel or ever felt that you are at a disadvantage when it comes to getting a job?

I think being in a racial group that is considered to be a minority makes it so that people already have doubt or a low expectation of what you're capable to do which makes it so that opportunities are taken away from the beginning. Since people already have a certain opinion on a race, they're automatically go on that opinion whether it's positive or negative. There are racial groups that are put ahead of or thought to be better because of stereo types. In many places people who are of a "lower race" are put last or even turned away because in some places discrimination is still present in that place and they won't even give that person a chance to get what they need. 

3. How do you feel about racial inequality through social media?

I think that's it's 100% unacceptable. Especially because people start to make it into a joke and others start to follow which sets the example that it's okay for others. There are many pages or walls that consist purely of racial jokes, racial memes, racial comments, and most of them are just straight up rude and inconsiderate. I think that a lot of it is really unnecessary and ignorant because those things don't need to be spread because eventually they'll lead to a bigger issue. 

4. Have you ever done anything to stop racial inequality and stereotypes on social media?

Not really, the only thing I do to stop it is, I just don't spread it or put things out like that on the Internet cause I wouldn't want those things said about me. I try to watch what I said and be considerate of all when I'm on the Internet.

Isaac Chavez | Hispanic | 14 | 9th Grade